Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Nice One, Dumbass

This is a variation on the "Hey Dumbass" column - instead of making fun of some poor soul looking for advice, I make fun of me.

Small and large groups are always on the Hill, especially in the springtime. Most organizations hold their annual legislative conferences now, and let's face it, spring is a nice time to be in the city. Any time Congress is in session, though, you're likely to encounter a huddle of people clogging the hallways or slowing down the security line at the entrances. If it's not a flock of middle schoolers in matching tee shirts, it's the little old Midwestern-looking ladies in their "good" sweatshirts, or the five white guys in suits and matching nametags.

If the visitors are looking particularly clueless, and I'm not feeling especially pissy, I'll stop and help them figure out where they should be. I'll at least point them in the right direction. "You need to go to the Senate side for Russell" or "The cafeteria is down that hall."

The other day I walked past a pack of people with the National Federation of the Blind.

I nodded hello and smiled.

God, I am such an idiot.

3 comments:

Becky said...

I bet they could smell your friendliness. Wave next time.

tammy said...

That just made my day, it sounds like something I would do.

Devra said...

Years ago I had a similar experience as I was walking down the street I noticed a man struggling to get a bunch of mail up into one of those giant blue mailboxes. He was having significant problems getting the door open, and he looked like he was going to end up losing about half of the mail he was holding. I was just about to ask "Do you need a hand?" It was THIS close to coming out of my mouth when I noticed the problem and why he was having such a hard time. He only had ONE hand! I'm sure others have offered a hand to him, just like people nod and smile at blind people. But I still felt my face flush at the idea of actually being the one to say that to him and feeling relieved that I didn't.
The main point is you were still being friendly, and that is really what matters in this world!