Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I'm a Bit of a Wreck

Lumpyhead went back to the surgeon this afternoon, where the doctor basically dug out the blockage. There was a great deal of poop. Piles. A shitacular amount of crap. Fecaltastic sums of stool.

And this was after more than one enema before his surgery.

I'm trying to put a happy spin on this, but it was traumatic. Truly awful. Lumpyhead cried. He bled. He sweat a halo on the paper table cover. Afterward, he clung to Bump and me, wanting to be held. We cleaned him up and gave him some Tylenol, and I fed him a bottle in the waiting room. He was calm, but clearly rattled. He complained a little about being put in his car seat.

"Rattled" barely scratches the surface of what Bump and I were feeling. Just thinking about it makes my ears ring. I'm still carrying a hazy, shocked sensation. Before beginning, the doctor offered that if either Bump or I got nauseous or felt faint, we should feel free to sit down. Neither of us did, but I can see how it happens.

I went back to work after the appointment, and will probably be at work all night tonight. I called Bump, and he said Lumpyhead took a long nap and seems to be doing fine.

An IM with Aunt Bob, a picture of a horse head, and a very amusing email thread from Sarah are keeping me upright at the moment. Without them, I'd be whimpering under my desk or sniveling on my couch.

Work is keeping me sober at the moment. Without it, I'd be completely plastered by now.

Lumpyhead is keeping me going at the moment. Without him, I wouldn't know how pain that isn't your own can still be excruciating.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you have eaten again since we IM'd....or are you eating the horse head? Either way, we're thinking of you.

Reya Mellicker said...

I'm so sorry you're going through this awfulness. Strong and healing energy is headed in your direction. Take good care.

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Motherhood does amazing things to us. Nothing is scarier than having a child in the hospital.

Poor thing (all three of you). Keep us updated.

Heather said...

Oh my god. That sounds so traumatic for all of you. I will never curse a poopy diaper again. Keep us posted.

Odd Mix said...

A loved one's pain always hurts worse than your own pain. Especially when he's your baby and looks to you to make it better and you can't.

My heart goes out to you and Bump... and Lumpyhead, of course.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of all of you. Hope it gets easier. and even though it's hard for lumpyhead to go through this, know that it is harder for you -- at least he won't remember it.

daddy in a strange land said...

You've got lots of positive thoughts coming atcha from Southern Cali... Hope you all can get some rest...

Daddy L said...

Positive vibes from Canada for all three of you! Like Odd Mix said, when your babe looks to you for comfort and you can't make the pain instantly go away, it's excruciating.

Hang in there, hopefully the worst is over.

Gidge Uriza said...

I hope everything is better with nightfall.
I was thinking about you guys all day! And I don't even know you.
Perhaps I will stalk Sarah's stalker.

Anonymous said...

That sounds awful. Hope everything works out alright.

Best of luck

AD