Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Lurking No Longer

I love the sneaky feeling that I get when reading blogs. Like I've gotten my hands on someone's diary. Or I've just found out how much money you make.

I admit it, I'm addicted to daddy blogs. I can't remember when I started reading them, but I can't get enough of them. I talk about Juniper, Squirrelly, and TwoBert like they're the children of our friends. I begin many sentences with, "On this daddyblog. . ." I'm completely sucked in.

I'm not sure why I haven't become as taken with mommy blogs. Maybe the daddy blogs are less-threatening? Less likely to cover ground that makes me uncomfortable or emotional? I dunno. Maybe the daddy blogs I frequent are just well-written and funny, and I haven't found a mommy blog that I like yet.

I'm blogging now because I worry that I will forget the little things.

My sweet Lumpyhead is seven months old. He has changed our lives, and is a source of constant amusement and amazement. I realized recently, with soul-shuddering panic, that I couldn't remember the timing of certain events on the day he was born. I was sure that each detail of that day would be locked in my heart and burned into my brain forever, like my childhood phone number.

It wasn't even important. Was it 12:30 or 1:00 when I got the epidural? Who cares? It doesn't matter much, but I know that in the weeks after Lumpyhead's birth, we recounted the story to close friends and family, and I know that detail was included - and now I can't remember it. If I'd been blogging, I could just look back at a post.

[Reality check: If I'd been blogging, I would have been too sore/tired/overwhelmed to post then. Whatever.]

I could keep a journal, I guess, rather than doing this online. But this is easy. Besides, if this blog gets three hits a month, I'll be shocked.

No comments: