Tuesday, April 11, 2006

You're the Inspiration

It’s Electricyoak’s birthday today.

I met Electricyoak my first day on the Hill. He’s one of those guys you like instantly. When Electricyoak met my dad, I was shocked by how much my dad talked with him. My dad is not a chatter; he’ll spend an entire conversation just listening, especially around people he doesn’t know very well. Electricyoak, however, had my dad prattling on like a middle school cheerleader. My dad said later, “I feel like I’ve known the guy my whole life.”

Electricyoak and I worked together for about five years, most of those spent with a partial wall between our offices. The wall was about eight feet high, but didn’t reach the ceiling. We would talk to each other over the wall - making fun of whoever was on the House floor, insulting rude constituents, that kind of stuff. We once had a conversation made up entirely of Chicago song lyrics. Try getting those out of your head. With the advent of instant messaging, it was like being back in that office, hurling snark over the half-wall, even when Electricyoak moved back to Minnesota.

Happy Birthday dude. Sorry I couldn’t swing an “It’s My Birthday” tiara for you, but you’re a pretty pretty birthday princess all day today in my book.

Will this do?

3 comments:

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Hilarious!

Anonymous said...

My husband: the Lord of the Dance. How did I get so lucky?
-H.

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Man, I should have had you photoshop out my ex in the picture I linked to today.

I just used a post it note so you couldn't see him.

You are high tech.