Sunday, July 05, 2009

How to Freak Me Right the Fuck Out

Bump took Lumpyhead and Lula out to a playdate, and I put Nathan Jr down for a nap. I called my mom. While we were chatting, Nathan Jr's monitor lit up.

Two voices - one male, one female - were talking to the baby. "Nate, Nate, Nate" they cooed at him. The baby giggled back.

I froze.

"I'll call you back," I snapped at my mother before hanging up on her.

"Natey, Nate, Nate." [happy gurgle]

I crept up the stairs and opened the baby's door slowly.

He was sound asleep. And alone.

This brand new house is haunted.

7 comments:

Auntly H said...

who's buried under your foundation?

Heather said...

No. Not possible.

Really?

I'm not crazy, just well mixed! said...

Creepy. Maybe it's time to meet the neighbors and (hopefully) the other Nate. If there is no other Nate, I'd freak!

Stimey said...

That is really, really freaky. too bad Nathan, Jr. can't tell you what happened.

Violet said...

or...your neighbours are using a baby monitor on the same frequency? That happened to us once - I couldn't figure out who this guy was in TLM's room, and why he was calling her by the wrong name.

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

How can a new house be haunted.

Don't worry, it is probably just Geena Davis and Alec Baldwin.

We're they saying his real name?

Em said...

I'm voting for the shared frequency with neighboring monitors, and the chance that the baby has the same name as yours. Unlikely yes, but much more likely than your house being haunted.
I would've been freaked out too.