Friday, March 09, 2007

A Morning of Misadventure

I took the early morning shift with Lula. She was fussy and didn't really sleep between 2:30 and 6:30, dozing lightly but never settling. Bump said she had pooped immediately after getting a new diaper, so I sat with a stinky baby in the dead of night. Around 6:00 she seemed wide awake, so I went to change her, only to find her sound asleep on my shoulder by the time I got to the changing table. Nothing says Paragon of Motherhood like hissing "you have got to be kidding me" at your sleeping, smelly newborn.

Of course she woke up again the minute I sat back down with her.

The weird morning shift meant my pumping schedule was disrupted, so rather than pump immediately upon arriving at work, I decided to pump before I left home. At this point both our tormenters were asleep, so Bump took the opportunity to shower. Predictably, in mid-pump and mid-shower, Lula woke up. Then so did Lumpyhead. Both the shower and the pumping session were cut short.

Lula pooped again. Lumpyhead demanded candy.

Both did so loudly.

By the time I left, the Tormenters were quiet and Bump was brewing coffee. As if I wasn't late enough already, I needed to get a new parking pass this morning. Then I left my ID at the parking office, and couldn't re-enter the restricted area. I got to my desk around 9:45.

I could really use a drink.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kids have no mercy.

Em said...

That's like something that would appear on my blog. I'm with you all the way, LHM! Hope you come home to a nice martini tonight.