Wednesday, January 16, 2008

TMX Lumpyhead

When you tickle your children, do you say anything? Like "tickle tickle" or "coochie coochie coo" or "shut yer hole, you furry red muppet"?

I'm not sure how this started, but when I tickle the tormentors, I say "Ouagadougou, Ouagadougou."

It makes them laugh, but . . . am I dooming my offspring to odd word associations? Will the capital of Burkina Faso always make them giggle?

I'm just saying, it might lead to some uncomfortable situations if they land jobs in West Africa someday.

3 comments:

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

So what would it mean if I were in West Africa?

Lumpyheadsmom said...

Well, it would still mean the capital city of Burkina Faso, but if you were geographically closer to Burkina Faso, it might come up in casual conversation more often than say, never.

For example,
Associate 1: What did you do last weekend?
Associate 2: Oh, the new girlfriend and I took a daytrip to Ouagadougou on Saturday.
My Child: [snicker]
Associates 1 and 2: Why is that funny?

You know. That.

Violet said...

Well, one day I was standing in a travel agent's office, wondering out loud where I should go for my next holiday (this was of course, pre-motherhood). And when he jokingly replied "Ouagadougou", I genuinely thought he'd made it up to make me laugh.