Sunday, August 22, 2010

Things That Only Suck a Little About Attending Your Father's Funeral

1. Hearing how your father touched the lives of such a large and varied group of people, and learning how many others will miss him terribly - almost as much as you will.
2. The socially adept fellow mourners who manage to say the right things at the right time.
3. Seeing distant family and friends again (both the ones who live far away and the ones who are aloof).
4. Aunt Wilma.
5. Missing your children a lot, but being really glad they're not with you.
6. The amazing support from your friends - through every means possible - like getting text messages and voicemails (when I can triangulate between the big rock and the church steeple and a windmill and score two whole bars) or watching the florist haul in truckloads of flowers from your friends and colleagues.
7. Finding out your mom has high-speed wifi. (It went like this. Me [incredulous]: "Mom, do you really have wifi?" Mom: "What's a why-five?") It's a little unreliable, but it's wifi, man, and upon its discovery the heavens opened and the angels sang and I cried a little.

Things That Don't Suck About Attending Your Father's Funeral
1.

I still got nuthin.

7 comments:

kenandbelly said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

I am intrigued! How did your mom get Why-Five without knowing it?!

Anne

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

I am so so sorry. He will be missed.

Em said...

I've been thinking about you a lot. A. Lot.

Laura said...

I'm sorry...no matter how old you are you still need your dad

merseydotes said...

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry.

bozoette said...

I'm so sorry.